LISNews – News For Librarians

ftr1

ftr1

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Shame on the young man at Las Animas Bent County Library District 😡👎


306 5th St, Las Animas, CO 81054


The guy at the desk on 9.30.26 in the morning was very dehumanizing towards me, raising his eyebrows as I entered and looking at me up and down like I was an alien or something, and saying "can I help you? 

And he wasn't asking because he was actually concerned about helping me. he was trying to marginalize me. He was trying to subtly say I'm the boss here. 

Um, do I need a reason to enter the public library? Do you think this is the first time I've been in a public library?

I noticed when a few other people walked in he just said hi. Can't I just walk in and browse like anybody else and get a friendly hello? 

 Or do you own this place? 
Last time I checked the public library is owned by taxpayers which includes me. 

I can come into the library for no reason or any reason as long as I'm decent and civil which I was. It's not your library buddy. Just go back to doing whatever you were doing which was not much it looked like. And leave the patrons alone unless I come up to you and ask for help. Don't nitpick me 👎

Later when the female manager came in who was very nice I heard him say to to her as she entered "There's a guy in the back" . Um, yeah also known as a patron sitting in the back using his laptop for a little while. 

What in the double h is going on? I've never been treated so poorly by a person like this as if I was some kind of bad person.

 I hope the manager reads this and talks to this young man about how to treat people he's never met before. I'm not a stranger, I'm not a "guy" (altho I am male); for the purpose of the library staff I'm a patron who deserves normal respect & dignity as much as anybody else.